Go Danica

The Official Danica Patrick Fan Site

Who in the world are these women and how in the world did they get voted ahead of Danica in the AP's female athlete of the year? Oh yeah, congrats to Serena.

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/12695509/serena-easily-wins-v...

Tags: AP, award

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because I like to keep track of these things, the annual AP Female Athlete of the Year voting results, congrats to Gabby Douglas, although I am surprised Alex Morgan didn't notch a few more votes.

On the Danica front, she makes history one year with the best finish in a race by a woman in Nascar history (2011) and gets 2 votes, then sets the mark for the best points finish by a woman the next year and gets no votes, reminds me of 2008-2009. Win a race in 2008, but not have a great year overall compared to her year in 2009, but finished 6th in a voting back in 2008, yet didn't get a vote in 2009 despite posting career highs in terms of her season points finish, top 5 finishes in a season and a career best Indy 500 finish.

http://www.kmov.com/sports/ap/184443501.html

Danica did NOT have a great yr this yr in NNS and the PT Cup either, course in Cup she wasnt expected to do much, just get seat time. Winning MPD doesnt get any votes in this award as its about the greatest achievements in sports for females and finishing top 10 in points settting another record for females isn t really much of an achievement as there are only 14 FT drivers running in NNS to start with that can earn enough points to count for anything, and Danica has even said she expected a better yr then she had so dont worry about it.. 

Douglas surprised everyone by winning Olympic Gold with the all around title and thats a big deal in sports.

Others won olympic metals surprising everyone as well and that gets them votes.

Serena wins almost every Tennis tournament she enters so she has a right to be up there.

Vonn maybe should be higher as well as she won another World cup and other titles but sometimes when you achieve things in a sport that no-one watches and doesnt get much coverage other then in an Olympic yr,  you dont get the votes higher either.

Alex Morgan should have been way higher also as she had a record breaking yr with goals and assists but something tells me they dont want her to get a big head winning to much to soon, as some young players have had great yrs once-- and then not again.  She didnt get much playing time the last 3 games against China as she couldnt do squat against them, course she never got many touches as everything was focused on Wamback getting more goals to break Hamms record.  Iam sure they want to keep Alex grounded as there are 2 other players that can score goals as well if they get the playing time Alex beat them out of--this yr anyway?. .

For Danica to ever get consideration for awards in the future, she IS going to have to have some great results as she may draw attention but not for any awards as you have to achieve something special and record breaking to win those. She has made it to the top level of motorsports now, the only FT female  in Cup and that IS a big deal now and the pressure will be on her more then ever to have good results--only time will tell?

Amazing that you can make history and everybody talk about what a big deal it is at the time by being the first woman to win a pole for Sprint Cup race (and not just any race, the Daytona 500), then back it up in the race with a performance that was better than what she had at the 2005 Indy 500 (ran top 3 for 113 laps - best in the race, had an average running position of 5.5- 2nd best to race winner Jimmie Johnson's 5.2 AND became the 13th driver to lead both the Indy 500 and Daytona 500 - the only woman to do so), yet get no votes for it.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/2013-Female-Athlete-of-the-Yea...

I think that a lot of people who aren't into NASCAR do not pay a lot of attention to all D's firsts and that may be the reason for the lack of votes.  I must say that before Danica, I paid a lot less attention.

Damon said:

Amazing that you can make history and everybody talk about what a big deal it is at the time by being the first woman to win a pole for Sprint Cup race (and not just any race, the Daytona 500), then back it up in the race with a performance that was better than what she had at the 2005 Indy 500 (ran top 3 for 113 laps - best in the race, had an average running position of 5.5- 2nd best to race winner Jimmie Johnson's 5.2 AND became the 13th driver to lead both the Indy 500 and Daytona 500 - the only woman to do so), yet get no votes for it.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/2013-Female-Athlete-of-the-Yea...

That's really one of them deals where in mainstream sports, the only women athletes who are really looked at as being great are those in Tennis or the Olympics.

And they are competing against other women, not the guys for the most part.  When she gets more consistent and I'm confident she will, she will definitely get more attention and votes.

I can hardly wait for the season to get started!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Featured Items

Action Racing Collectibles Danica Patrick 201...

Danica Patrick and the No. 10 GoDaddy.com Chevrolet SS will run a full- time schedule in t [More]

Price: $64.95

Chase Authentics Danica Patrick 2013 Driver S...

Nothing makes the days go by faster than the anticipation for some fast-paced NASCAR actio [More]

Price: $24.95

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Blog Posts

phoenix

Posted by perry morales on March 8, 2014 at 12:00pm

Gilles Pepin

Posted by Gilles Pepin on February 26, 2014 at 2:42pm — 1 Comment

Danica as a Vegas Showgirl !!

Posted by Tony Powell on December 11, 2013 at 1:24am — 1 Comment

Forum

Indianapolis - 2014 9 Replies

Started by DanicaFans in Danica - Race Discussion 2014. Last reply by Damon 5 minutes ago.

Danica articles 3 Replies

Started by Damon in Danica - News Articles. Last reply by Damon 22 hours ago.

SBJ - Follows SHR to Kentucky 1 Reply

Started by Becky in NASCAR Sprint Cup. Last reply by dodge man on Wednesday.

New Hampshire - 2014 36 Replies

Started by DanicaFans in Danica - Race Discussion 2014. Last reply by dodge man on Wednesday.

Brant James 2014 Danica chronicles 15 Replies

Started by Damon in Danica - News Articles. Last reply by Becky Jul 19.

© 2014   Created by Reggie.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service