Go Danica

The Official Danica Patrick Fan Site

Discuss the COPD 300 and the Daytona 500 here.

Views: 2337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Solid day, and its kind of nice to be slightly disappointed with a top ten instead of a top five.  Go Danica!

In other thoughts, could anyone direct me to specific details of the engine issue yesterday?  I'd thought nothing of it beyond her interview,  until I saw some haters comment that what happened was she accidentally turned off the engine and drove to the garage and they switched to the backup ignition and everything was fine and it was all her fault.  I'd really like to be able to refute them with specifics.  I saw a vague indication that the entire ignition system had a problem but i'd like to prove it.

I'm sure people are saying that and that her team is covering for her, but if you take the team at its word there was an ignition issue and switching to the backup would not have fixed it.  I think what is confirmed as true is that Danica didn't think to try the backup ignition and neither did her crew chief or spotter think to tell her to try it, while she was still on the track running with reduced power.  In the end probably a good reminder for her about backup the ignition system in stock cars.    

Lisa Weber said:

In other thoughts, could anyone direct me to specific details of the engine issue yesterday?  I'd thought nothing of it beyond her interview,  until I saw some haters comment that what happened was she accidentally turned off the engine and drove to the garage and they switched to the backup ignition and everything was fine and it was all her fault.  I'd really like to be able to refute them with specifics.  I saw a vague indication that the entire ignition system had a problem but i'd like to prove it.

That issue was in the Nationwide race. The motor started losing power, then shut off and she went to the garage. In the garage while the crew was trying to figure out what was going on, they fiddled with ignition systems. There is an A and a B ignition wiring setup as backup in case one does not work and while in garage they were able to get the car started a few times but the crew ended up saying that the entire ignition system was screwed up... both A and B systems and she would not have been able to compete properly, even if the car started with B system.

For a short time, Danica was peed off when they started the engine, thinking that she had messed up by going to garage instead of the pits, but after about 10 minutes it was determined that the car would not have run right anyway. She said it was a learning moment not to go to garage before they checked out car in pits first... not that it mattered this time. Of course the haters jumped all over that and as is their way, they only tell part of the story. Screw them.

Yeah, I have doubts about the NNS ignition problem.  My theory is that Turner crew didn't tell her to try the backup ignition and keep her going because they were content with a "start and park" result with her.  She out qualified their 3 regular cars and was running better than the other 3.  Plus, they already had the sponsor dollars to pay for the car.  If it was as simple as her flipping the back up switch they would never admit it because it would have made their organization look as bad as it would make Danica look since they didn't catch that before she left the track!

I didn't think Danica had much of a choice there at the end.  I think she was right in believing that she couldn't be the one to pull out first, and I suspect Biffle had some similar concerns about pulling out himself too early and not knowing if Danica would come with him.  Plus his car was great pusher in the draft, but I'm not sure he was confident in his speed if he was out front.  He said he was trying to backup to Danica to setup the pass at the end, but Johnson backed up too and didn't give him room.

Overall a great day for learning and she pretty much only ran with the top drivers in Nascar the entire day.  The way she recovered from being on the bottom and Menard shuffling her to the middle was great, and she did it pretty much by herself.  I'm glad she got that experience and it all wasn't just running in line.  Similarly the green flag pit stops hurt her track position, but it was still a good learning experience that really can only be practiced like that under race conditions.  Especially given the quality of drivers she was pitting with.  Great way to finish to finish Daytona off, and even further strengthen her team's belief in her.  

I just saw a long interview with Danica by the ESPN crew and she said she was very proud to be one of only 15 people ever to lead both Indy 500 and Daytona 500. She said that record has nothing to do with being a girl.

Pretty cool that Jimmie was able to come back and win it this time. Keep in mind that he finished dead last the year before so that's good.

Pretty excellent day! Figured she'd get rushed at the end but to attack with confidence at that point will come with experience. Great run! Gonna be a good year! 

If you guys get a chance to go to DIS come on down; it is a great time!

I know she wanted to do more on that last lap but I think she did the right thing in sticking with Biffle...yes it was the conservative thing to do but a lot of today was about building credibility and learning.  I agree with others that Junior would have gone around her and at that point everyone was going to go with Junior so she would have been shuffled farther back.  

Lisa, here a link to a story by Bob Pockrass detailing the ignition issues...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2013-02-23/danica-patrick-...

As Scott said the haters will believe the crew chief was covering for her.  :)  I noticed when watching/listening to RaceBuddy during yesterday's race it seemed like it took a long time to get the car to start on the starting grid but it did eventually fire.  

Lisa Weber said:

Solid day, and its kind of nice to be slightly disappointed with a top ten instead of a top five.  Go Danica!

Here is an article on her mom and sister's reaction to her race...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/danica-patrick-leaves-her-family-beami...

Also, wasn't it kind of interesting that Jimmie tore the front of his car off with his burnout through the gas.  Get your conspiracy theories going. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Featured Items

Action Racing Collectibles Danica Patrick 201...

Danica Patrick and the No. 10 GoDaddy.com Chevrolet SS will run a full- time schedule in t [More]

Price: $64.95

Chase Authentics Danica Patrick 2013 Driver S...

Nothing makes the days go by faster than the anticipation for some fast-paced NASCAR actio [More]

Price: $24.95

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Blog Posts

phoenix

Posted by perry morales on March 8, 2014 at 12:00pm

Gilles Pepin

Posted by Gilles Pepin on February 26, 2014 at 2:42pm — 1 Comment

Danica as a Vegas Showgirl !!

Posted by Tony Powell on December 11, 2013 at 1:24am — 1 Comment

Forum

Atlanta - 2014 51 Replies

Started by DanicaFans in Danica - Race Discussion 2014. Last reply by dodge man 15 hours ago.

Bristol - Summer 2014 48 Replies

Started by DanicaFans in Danica - Race Discussion 2014. Last reply by DanicaFans on Thursday.

2015 - Silly Season 17 Replies

Started by Becky in NASCAR Sprint Cup. Last reply by Becky on Thursday.

Michigan - Summer 2014 56 Replies

Started by DanicaFans in Danica - Race Discussion 2014. Last reply by Becky Aug 21.

© 2014   Created by Reggie.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service